ESEU - European Status for ECIU University
ESEU will support ECIU University and other alliances of higher education institutions (HEIs), such as the ‘European Universities’, to overcome obstacles to deeper, long-term and flexible transnational cooperation through the design of a suitable institutionalised cooperation instrument. To do so, ESEU will:
- Match use cases, that are based on a thorough assessment of the needs of university alliances for a legal status to achieve the latitude to act together, make common strategic decisions, experiment joint recruitment, design joint curricula or pool resources and human, technical, data, education, research and innovation capacities and more, covering all missions of universities (the knowledge square). Existing European cooperation instruments will be analysed and matched to the needs, i.e., their legal implications, benefits, challenges and feasibility in close cooperation with national authorities and experts to understand the national context.
- Start with the first initial administrative steps to implement one or more suitable instruments to facilitate ECIU University’s operations, and propose a roadmap with future actions to improve existing instruments, or to recommend the design of a new EU instrument.
ESEU will work from the question what a European alliance of HEIs implies in practice, including its governance needs, and will build upon the 25-year experience of ECIU with a national legal status (Foundation under Dutch law), and its network and knowledge. Other alliances of HEIs, national/local authorities and relevant entities and experts will be closely involved, e.g. through input sessions, interviews and surveys. ESEU will cover an extensive perspective and will work towards broad support by relevant stakeholders and policy-makers.
The project will start on 1 March, will run for one year and entails 250.000 €.
List of formal partners of the ESEU project:
- University of Twente (The Netherlands, coordinator),
- Kaunas University of Technology (Lithuania),
- INSA Rouen (France),
- Dublin City University (Ireland),
- Linköping University (Sweden),
- Tampere University (Finland),
- Hamburg University of Technology (Germany),
- Lodz University of Technology (Poland),
- Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain),
- Universidade de Aveiro (Portugal),
- University of Stavanger (Norway),
- Università di Trento (Italy),
- Aalborg University (Denmark),
- ECIU Foundation,
- Ministry of Education, Science and Sports (Lithuania),
- Ministry of Education and Science (Portugal),
- 4EU+ European University Alliance E.V.,
- Una Europa,
- Charm-EU (via Universitat de Barcelona),
- EUCOR-The European Campus (EGTC),
- Ministry of Education and Culture (Finland),
- Ministry of University and Research (Italy),
- Ministry of Universities (Spain),
- Autonomous Province of Trento (EGTC, Italy),
- Cimea Association (Italy),
- Authority Of Ireland For Cauliochthaigus Derbhu (Ireland),
- Conference Of Directors Of French Schools (France).
More info at eciu.p.lodz.pl/en