WELCOME TULBOX - supporting organizational capacity and qualifications of administration staff of Lodz University of Technology in the field of services for foreign students and academic staff
Information about the project
The project was implemented by the International Cooperation Centre of TUL, in cooperation with Library of TUL and Language Centre of TUL, under the Welcome to Poland Programme in the period from November 2018 to June 2020.
The programme is realised by the Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange, co-financed by the European Social Fund within the framework of the Operational Programme Knowledge Education Development, a non-competitive project entitled Improving the competences of academic staff and the potential of institutions to host persons from abroad – Welcome to Poland which is implemented under the Measure specified in the application for co-financing of project no. POWR.03.03.00-00-PN14/18.
The project aimed at organizational preparation of our university in the field of servicing foreign students and academic staff by:
- improving the competences of administration staff in the field of interpersonal communication in an intercultural environment through participation in the training
- increasing the availability of necessary and practical information and documents for foreigners at the university (preparation of guides and leaflets, internal documents of the university in English)
- increasing and adaptation of the TUL Library resources for the needs of internationalisation: purchasing scientific and didactic books in English and French, fiction books in English and Polish, as well as preparation of e-learning courses in English to facilitate the use of the library resources by foreigners
- facilitating acclimatization and development of language skills by foreigners studying at TUL in Polish by participating in extra Polish language classes run by the TUL Language Center.
Below you will find detailed information and news on the implementation of particular assignments. If you have any questions, please contact the Project Office: TUL International Cooperation Centre, ul. Żwirki 36, 90-539 Łódź, building A16, 1st floor, room 110, phone: 42 638 38 72.
Improvement of competences of TUL administration staff in the field of intercultural communication – training
In December 2019 a group of 50 TUL administration staff participated in the training on intercultural communication. The training was intended for employees who had direct contact with students or employees of foreign universities within the scope of their duties and/or tasks.
The thematic content of the training included the following specific points:
- mechanisms of the formation of stereotypes, prejudices and discrimination,
- stages of adaptation of foreign students, methods of recognizing signs of culture shock, methods of supporting foreign students in adaptation,
- cultural differences and their impact on interpersonal relations, communication, work organization, coping with problems, etc.,
- practical aspects of communication, including verbal and non-verbal, with people who are culturally different, e.g. proper forms of welcome, organization of meetings, etc.,
- practical aspects of hosting foreigners at the university, including ways of reacting to difficult situations.
A lot of time was devoted to getting to know the religious and moral values of non-European cultural circles. The training was also a good opportunity to exchange experiences between university employees who have contact with foreigners in various positions and in different places at our university.
The classes were conducted by trainers of the European Academy of Diplomacy from Warsaw.
Preparation of information materials for foreign students and guests
The following information materials were prepared for foreign students and academic staff:
Practical Guide for International Researchers, Guests & Partners – a guide in English for foreign guests, mainly research and teaching staff from foreign universities
International Students Guide – a guide in English for candidates for studies and foreigners already studying at TUL
Guide for Foreign Students - a guide in Polish for foreigners applying for studies at TUL and studying at TUL
English translations of internal documents and TUL websites related to servicing students and staff
As part of the task, the university's internal documents (resolutions, ordinances, regulations, applications, forms, etc.) and the content of websites that are necessary or will facilitate the service of foreign students and guests were translated into English. A total of 1,032 pages of text were translated and made available to interested entities on an ongoing basis. Below you will find a list of selected key documents that have been translated.
Extra Polish language course for foreigners studying at full-cycle studies in Polish
The Polish language course for foreigners was organized by the International Cooperation Centre in cooperation with the TUL Language Centre. The students that participated are those foreigners who began their studies at Lodz University of Technology, i.e. those who were registered for the first semester of 1st or 2nd cycle studies in fields of study run in Polish. Classes were also available to foreign students studying in the next semesters in fields of study run in English and French, as well as 3rd cycle students and students of the Interdisciplinary Doctoral School of TUL. However, participation was dependent on the availability of places.
Two groups of students were created under the project. Classes were conducted in the winter semester and then continued online in the summer semester.
Organizational preparation of the Library of Lodz University of Technology to provide services to foreign students, doctoral students and staff from abroad
As part of the project, the TUL Library bought 635 books on scientific and scientific-didactic topics in English and French, as well as 978 on the customs and cultures of the countries from which foreign students and researchers come (non-fiction literature, reportages, guides, travel guides) as well as fiction, in English and Polish.
As part of the project, the employees of the TUL Library prepared e-learning courses for foreigners:
- “Library training for foreigners” – e-learning course, which is an equivalent of "Library Skills Training", a compulsory course for students of Lodz University of Technology.
- “Science dissemination and open science” - The course zooms in on the subject of broadly understood dissemination of science with the use of available tools (also in the context of implementation of EU projects) and the benefits of open science for the scientific and academic community. The course is intended for students and employees of Lodz University of Technology, but it can also be used by non-TUL users who are interested in the presented topics.
More information on the website of TUL Library